This site is located at the entrance to the Greenwood Military Aviation Museum where it will join the Lancaster and Neptune recently moved there.

In December of 2000 the Argus was transported to the Museum Air Parkand reassembly began in January 2001 

Argus 10717 was assigned to the 2 Maritime Operational Training Unit in Greenwood on 17 June 1958 and was struck off  strength on 5 March 1980 to be a permanent monument at Greenwood. It was placed in front of the old gym near the flightline until 16 October 2000 when it was lowered of its gear stands and towed to 11 Hangar to be dismantled.

Argus CP-107

Manufacturer: Canadair
Overall Length:

132

feet

5.75

inches

40.4

metres
Wing Span:

142

feet

3.6

inches

43.4

metres
Height (tip of tail):

40

feet

9.0

inches

12.4

metres
All-Up Weight:

157, 000

pounds

71, 215

kilograms
Empty Weight:   pounds   kilograms
Fuel Load:

47, 808

pounds

21, 686

kilograms
Type: 115/145 Avgas
Maximum - Speed

317

mph

510

Km/h

275

knots
Patrol - Speed

196

mph

315

Km/h

170

knots
Endurance:   Hours cruise

18

Hours patrol
Range:   Miles   Kilometres   Nautical
Ceiling:   feet   metres
Engine: 4- Wright Cyclone R-3350 18 cylinder radial engines, each 3400 hp, turning 3-bladed propellers. Provision for water-methanol Anti-Detonant Injection (ADI) on take-off raised the Wet Power hp (wet power = full power with ADI) to 3700hp.

Take Off Power (full power without ADI) was called Dry Power, 3400hp. Maximum Except Take Off  (METO) power was 2600rpm, 153 torque, and was used as climb power, high speed dash, etc., time limited to 30 minutes.  Three Power Recovery Turbines (PRTs) on each engine scavenged power from engine exhaust.

History: The Argus was built under licence by Canadair, and was an adaptation of the British Bristol Britannia, a turboprop airliner of the 1950s. Piston engines were installed in place of Britannia's turboprops to improve endurance at low altitudes.
Canadian Purchase: The 33 originally purchased Argus aircraft were all stationed at CFB Greenwood, NS, with 404, 405, 449 Squadrons, No.2 Maritime OTU detachment and the Argus Conversion Unit. Shortly thereafter, 407 Sqn Comox, BC, 415 Sqn and Maritime Proving and Evaluation Unit, Summerside, PEI, joined the Argus family.
Greenwood Service: May 1958 to November 1980
Crew: 3 pilots, 2 flight engineers, 4 navigators and 6 Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators. Note- Tactical crew make-up varied during Argus service. (Final configuration shown.)
Equipment: Mk I - APS-20 radar. Mk II - ASV21 radar. Both models had searchlight, Electronic Support Measures (ESM), Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD), Exhaust Trail Indicator (ETI or ASH), active and passive acoustics, Julie, Jezebel
Weapons: Torpedoes, bombs, depth charges, mines
Remarks: Record endurance 31 hours 01 minutes. Designed to fly 1000 miles (1, 609 km), remain on-station 8 hours, return home and have enough fuel remaining to divert 500 miles to an alternate airfield if required to.
References: "The History of CFB Greenwood, 1942-1992", Craig Kelman and Associates Ltd.
An empty field indicates either that the information does not apply to that airframe or is yet unavailable. Feel free to drop us a line to help us fill in any blanks or correct errors. Several sources may list different specifications based on different versions of the airframe. We have tried to use the statistics that reflect the aircraft as flown in Greenwood. All conversions among units have been rounded and are approximate values.

argus cp-107

On 13 Feb 2001 Argus 10717 was moved to its final resting place guarding the main entrance to 14 Wing Greenwood where it sits today.
For the next 2 months Argus 717 was dismantled for transport to the Museum Air Park.