Greenwood Military Aviation Museum
LEFT TO RIGHT: BRIAN HANDLEY, PETER CAMPAGNA, CHUCK CALDER, COL IRVINE, BUTCH FLEURY, PETER MILLER, PHIL WEEDON, AL SHEPPARD, ERNIE KILLEN, KEITH BRENSON
The motorized, 50,000 lb capacity, hydraulically operated scissor lift was the perfect solution for the need to lift the Anson over several obstacles along its journey from 10 Hangar. Along the route, the 42.3 foot length of the fuselage allowed just enough clearance for the Anson to pass between light poles lining the road, and its minimum height of 13.1 feet gave the needed room under overhead wires.
The AVRO Anson first flew in 1935, a British-designed, twin-engine, multi-role aircraft, developed from the AVRO 652 airliner for maritime reconnaissance, and named after British Admiral George Anson. Found to be obsolete in this role, its future was destined for multi-engine aircrew training, becoming the mainstay of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan because of its docile and forgiving features. The aircraft was dubbed “Faithful Annie” because of its reliability.
By May, 1940 British production could not keep up with the demand for aircraft in Canada, and Federal Aircraft Ltd. was established in Montreal to produce the Mk II version. In August, 1941 the first Canadian-built Anson flew. It featured the considerable use of plywood to save stocks of steel and aluminum for other purposes. Much of the surface is made of wood and covered with a doped fabric, while the fuselage is tubular steel, with wooden stringers and doped fabric.
A Mark I is shown at right; the Mark II was similar in shape but had fewer windows and the nose was moulded plywood.
The GMAM Anson project was finished in 2009 and, being primarily of wooden construction, fabric covered, is displayed inside in the Museum Extension. National recognition for the restoration team included the “EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION AWARD” from the Canadian Aeronautical Preservation Association (CAPA). This award recognizes the restoration of an aircraft with special significance to the history of aviation in Canada.
Anson 7135 is of special significance to the GMAM, being one of 340 such aircraft manufactured locally in Amherst, Nova Scotia by the Canadian Car and Foundry Company as part of Canada’s contribution to the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP).
The wreckage that started the project – no wings or tail.
View of the fuselage and
The Anson restoration team won national recognition, being awarded the “EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION AWARD” by the Canadian Aeronautical Preservation Association (CAPA). This award recognizes the restoration of an aircraft with special significance to the history of aviation in Canada. Anson 7135 is of special significance to the GMAM, as it is one of 340 such aircraft manufactured locally in Amherst, Nova Scotia by the Canadian Car and Foundry Company as part of Canada’s contribution to the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP).
The Museum's Anson MkII
The immaculate restored interior, with excruciating attention to detail.
The restoration project was led by the late Chief Warrant Officer Colin Ainsworth. The team spent five and a half years on the project, amassing a total of 16,528 volunteer man-hours.
Roles: Capable of multi-roles, in Greenwood, trained Pilots to fly multi-engine aircraft and, with Navigators, Wireless Operators, Bombardiers, and Air Gunners, did crew training. Also towed targets for gunnery practice.
Number built: AVRO U.K. - 8,138; AVRO Canada - 2,882 from 1941-1952
Crew: General reconnaissance aircraft with a crew of three; or, a navigational trainer carrying a pilot, two student navigators and a wireless operator; or, an advanced pilot trainer.
Powerplants: Two 330HP (246kW) Jacobs L-6MB R-915 engines
Maximum speed: 188 miles per hour (163 Kt or 303 kilometres per hour)
at 7,000 feet (2,134 metres)
Cruise speed: 155 miles per hour (135 Kt or 250 kilometres per hour)
Service ceiling: 16,200 feet (4,938 metres) Range: 790 miles (1,271 kilometres)
Empty weight: 5,850 pounds (2,654 kilograms)
Gross weight: 7,650 pounds (3,470 kilograms)
Wingspan: 56 feet 6 inches (17.22 metres) Length: 42 feet 3 inches (12.88 metres) Height: 13 feet 1 inch (3.99 metres)
Armament: None for the general training version, but Ansons equipped for bombing & gunnery training had a dorsal turret with 1 × .303 inch (7.7 millimetres) Vickers K machine gun and carried 163 kilograms (360 pounds) of practice bombs in under-wing bomb bays.
AVRO/Federal Aircraft Ltd